For me, the idea of working from home is a dream situation – no commute, no distractions and the comfort of your own home. However, for many others it is a daunting and unfamiliar task.
It took me some time to master the art of working from home, so I wanted to share 10 tips that help me do this successfully. It’s important to ensure you’re set up to be productive with a designated space, efficient technology and the right mindset.
Here are my tips for working remotely. I hope they can be useful for you at this time! Feel free to reach out with any questions – I am an open book about this topic and hope to be a resource for those new to remote work.
10 Tips for Working from Home:
- Create a morning routine– Whatever you were doing before quarantine, continue to do so to maintain normalcy. Make a pot of coffee, walk your dogs, go for a run, make breakfast, talk with your partner. All of these things will keep you committed to a routine and set you up for success!
- Get dressed for success – It may seem silly, but getting dressed in real clothes makes a huge difference in my productivity. It doesn’t have to be extreme – a nice pair of jeans and a blazer makes me feel polished and ready to accomplish tasks. Save your yoga pants for the weekend to set boundaries between your work life and social life.
- Keep a dedicated office space – Try to choose an area that’s out of the way with minimal traffic and good natural light. I also recommend decorating the space and adding a bit of personality to make your office space a pleasant place to be.
- Take short breaks– Whether you work for yourself, or a company, it’s important to have a policy on break times, and to take these breaks throughout the day. I recommend two 15-minute breaks and a 1-hour lunch break. I’ve found that these breaks actually make me much more productive!
- Exercise and stretch often – Studies show that workday exercise improves productivity by 72%. Whether you have a Peloton or go for a simple walk, taking this time for yourself and your health is important. Let’s get moving!
- Listen to music– Find a good playlist that lifts your spirit but doesn’t distract you. I love Peaceful Piano, In Love with the Crooners, Escape to France and French Café Jazz.
- Make to-do lists– It’s easy to lose direction without team members cheering you on and providing structure. Making to-do lists each day will outline clearly what must be accomplished and help you prioritize projects.
- Use video chat– While social distancing, try to use video chat platforms like Facetime or Zoom to connect with co-workers, colleagues and clients. Even though you won’t physically be together, being able to interact and see each other’s facial expressions will encourage you to feel more cohesive and connected.
- Keep defined work hours– There’s a lot of flexibility in working from home, as you don’t have colleagues to help structure your day. Having a strict schedule each day helps with work life balance and ensures productivity within a specific time frame.
- Check in with others– Connecting with others is needed now more than ever, so make a point to check-in on colleagues, clients and co-workers. We are not meant to go through hard seasons like this alone, so make sure you extend and receive support.
I hope you have enjoyed my tips for working from home! Jacob Group Realty is wishing you health and happiness at this time. Until next time! Feel free to reach out to me at Denise@Jacobgrouprealty.com.